Human height is mainly dependent on genetics. But non-genetic factors such as nutrition and environmental condition have also been demonstrated to have a bearing on an individual’s height. In one of the studies published in the journal PloS Genetics, researchers concluded that height is not just restricted to physical advantages, but it is also related to a positive outlook towards life.
Yoga is one of the types of exercises used for holistic wellness over the centuries. But did you know that yoga can also be used to help increase height? In this post, we will list the best yoga to increase height after 18 or any age.
This yoga is one of the most recommended methods for increasing height at any age. The exercise involves stretching all your body muscles, from head to toe. The elongation helps to generate a lot of posture pressure that will facilitate the generation of the growth hormone in the body. So how do you go about doing tadasana?
- Start by relaxing in a flat surface. While inhaling normally, raise your arms up, parallel to each other.
- Then, lift the heels and stand on the toes. Stretch your body up as far as possible. Make sure to keep the arms and legs straight.
This yoga exercise is also referred to as the tree pose and is one of the most recommended options for increasing height. To do this yoga, here are the steps to follow.
- Stand on a flat surface. Raise one leg and place the foot on the other leg’s thigh. This means that the entire body weight will be supported by one leg. The exercise is used to help strengthen your feet muscles.
- When standing on one foot, raise your hands and hold them above the head. Breathe normally and hold there for about 5-10 seconds.
- Repeat the above two steps using the other leg.
This exercise is referred to as the cobra pose, and is used to help increase flexibility of your muscles. In addition to assisting you to increase height; it is also very helpful in addressing issues such as back pain. Here are the steps to follow when doing Bhujangasana:
- On a flat floor or surface, lie face-down.
- Take some deep breaths and plant both hands on the ground ensuring the elbows are positioned close to the ribs. Also, keep the shoulders away from ears.
- Raise the head to the point that you can feel some stretch on the neck (just like a cobra raises its head from the ground).
- Hold the pose for about 15 seconds to 30 seconds.
- Relax and repeat the pose.
Ustra Asana, commonly known as camel pose, is a great way to enhance the stretchability of the back, hand, and leg muscles. This pose involves bending backwards to trigger the pituitary gland. Here are the steps to follow:
- Kneel on a Yoga mat (sitting in vajrasana).
- Stand on the knees while inhaling steadily. Then, draw on the tail bone towards your pub; as if you are being pulled at the navel.
- Keeping the back arched, and arms straight, slide the palms over the feet.
- Stay in this position for a couple of seconds trying to breathe normally.
- Finally, breathe out and slowly come to the starting position. Repeat this exercise severally.
Note that if you have back injuries or problem such as blood pressure, you should avoid this yoga exercise.
This yoga pose is used to exert pressure on the neck region and thigh muscles. Here are the steps to use.
- Sitting on the ground, stretch your legs right ahead while sticking them together.
- While exhaling steadily, bend over so that the head moves towards the knees. Also, bring your hands to the toes.
- While keeping the back straight, try to rest the head on the knees. Note that you should not force the head to the knees. Instead, only take the head as down as it is comfortable for you.
- Try to keep the knees as straight as possible while breathing normally. Then, hold onto that position for some time.
- Raise your head slowly back to the normal position and repeat the process.
If you are suffering from a problem such as slip disc, it is advisable to avoid this exercise.
Marjaryasana, also known as cat/cow pose, is one of the best ways to gain an inch or several without straining. It has also become a common recommendation by health practitioners to patients with back, buttocks, chest and abdomen pains. Here are the main steps involved in this yoga exercise:
- Start by looking for a comfortable position in vajrasana.
- Raise your body to so that only hands, knees and toes are planted on the ground. Then, raise your back and head so that the body takes a table position.
- Slowly, arch the spine up and down as you inhale.
- Repeat the arching position of the back for about 30 seconds.
The Bottom Line
If you lack in height and have been wondering about the best method to look a few inches taller, the above yoga exercises will never disappoint. The good thing about yoga is that it also helps to enhance the whole body wellness. With Yoga, you can never go wrong!