At the time of pregnancy the lungs inhale and exhale thirty to forty percent more oxygen with each breath as result the person is breathing slightly faster. This physiological change plays the main role in causing hiccups during pregnancy. Hiccups are not one of the most common symptoms of pregnancy but pregnant women may experience this condition at any time of pregnancy. They are more likely to occur in the first stage or in the early stage of pregnancy.
Approximately 2/3 of all the pregnant women get shortness of breath during pregnancy. The exact number of percentage of women who experience hiccups in their pregnancy is not known.
One of the reasons why there are hiccups in pregnancy is the hormonal changes that cause irritation. During pregnancy the organs are pushed as the embryo develops and this causes hiccups and irritation in pregnant women.
Hiccups are involuntary sound caused by the spasm of the diaphragm. Diaphragm is a large part of muscles that lies below the lungs together with the intercostals muscles that causes breathe. There are various symptoms of hiccups this includes:
Contraction of diaphragm is felt below the chest bone.
1. Air is involuntary taken into the throat.
2. The closing of epiglottis causes a hic sound.
3. Hiccups normally stop after few seconds.
The muscular work of the diaphragm is controlled by the nerves. The trigger exerts pressure on the diaphragm that appears to cause the hiccups in some people from time to time. These triggers include.
- Consumption of food quickly.
- Eating hot and spicy food.
- Excess consumption of alcohol
- Drinking frizzy drinks
- Smoking cigarette
- Bad body odors
Hiccups are not harmful for the body and normally they go by themselves in few seconds. Some of the hiccups treatment includes.
- Holding the breath for one minute
- Taking deep breath
- Breathing into a bag made up of paper
- Eating a little bit of fresh ginger
- Drinking lot of water and drink made up of honey
- Eating a spoonful of sugar
- Drinking a glass of water slowly
- Eating ice
- Doing gargle
- Sitting down and lean forward over the knees
- Asking someone to give you fright
Medical treatment of hiccups include
- Changes in the current dosages of drug
- Changing to another kind of nicotine therapy
- Use of Anti spasmodic drugs to calm the diaphragm
- Use of tube inserted into the nose (nasogastric intubation)
- A nerve block surgery to cut some of the nerve servicing the diaphragm
Prolonged hiccups must be medically inquired. It is not easy to define the hiccups .The prolonged hiccups especially the forceful and painful hiccups are not normal and require medical treatment.